Sunday, October 21, 2012

Juggling

Burning the candle at both ends...a balancing act...the work life balance...there are so many ways we say it. I remember a colleague of mine said wherever you are, you think you should be in the other place. That says it. While rocking Mr. Snuggles just now, I was thinking about all the things that await me tomorrow at work. I was thinking that I am kind of glad I have somewhere else to go tomorrow that challenges my brain in a different way than figuring out the mood swings of a 3 1/2 year-old. Then  I thought about how if I weren't working professionally, maybe I would be channeling that energy into figuring out how to better handle those mood swings or what to fix for dinner or how to squeeze more out of our budget or how to make Christmas presents this year or whatever. I guess I am just thinking that when you have a professional job in addition to the mothering duties/ job, you spend (ok, I spend)  most of your time trying to accomplish both while doing both. Which doesn't work. Or at least it doesn't work very well. If I were just doing one job, (the one I can't quit -- the mothering gig) I would redirect my energies to making the home/ mothering job better. Would it work this way? I don't know. Maybe I would just become frustrated that I wasn't using my degree as planned or that I was wasting something (what though?). Maybe my frustrations would reach epic levels and everyone in the house would suffer. This is what I wonder about...when I "should" be returning emails while Peach is entertained with the iPad and Mr. Snuggles is sleeping. It just never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment